Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Havin' a Hat Attack

Did you ever see that George Carlin routine where he's talking about his recent health problems?  And in this great voice with really flat sounding A's he says, "I haddda hatt attack". Mind you, considering what George Carlin can do to the previously innocent sounding word, "cocktail", the words "myocardial infarction" come out sounding like something that ought to be illegal in at least 48 states.

But this is something much more fun.  This is:


Based on the model of Sock Wars, Hat Attack is some seriously competitive knitting. The idea is to knit a hat as fast as you can and mail it to your "Target" before you receive one from your "Assassin".  If you get a hat from your Assassin, you are considered dead, and must mail your work in progress and Target info to your Assassin so he or she can continue the killing spree. It starts to get a little confusing after that, but the people running the whole shebang, the "Oracle" and the "Arms Dealer" appear to have it under control so I think I'm going to give it a shot.

I like that instead of using an existing pattern the Arms Dealer is actually designing a new pattern just for this event, and although we won't get it until the start date of February 9th, we do get the gauge and yarn used (my beloved Lamb's Pride!).  It sounds like fun and I figure worst case scenario, I get a chance to try a new cable hat pattern and get a hat from someone else.  If you want to check it out, there's still time to sign up - the deadline is February 6!

Before all that gets started though, I'm going to try practicing a little project monogamy and get this little goodie finished:



Yes, it's another Beaufort Hat, even if I have to modify it to look good on me, I really do love that pattern and I expect I'll be knitting more of these, even possible spin-offs. (Beaufort Scarf? Beaufort Mitts?)  I mean, really if I could just keep a copy of the pattern, a skein of the LP, and the required needles stashed in a bag, I'd be ready for any event that needs a knitting project to get me through it!  (Hmmm....so about going to church on Sunday....)

3 comments:

Mia said...

OH man, and here I was just hemming and hawing about getting around to knitting a hat for MYSELF! It'll never happen *grin*

Charles said...

I really need to knit a hat for myself! I really need a time to knit!
Lovely Hat and color also!

Also chack out my knitting blog too see what to think ..if have a time! Also leave tyour comment too!

Thanks~

Charles

Sheepish Annie said...

Oh, I had so much fun watching Sock Wars! I can't wait for this one!!!!