Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Mmmm....mint chocolate chip?

So while sweatin' through a sudden heat wave and dining almost exclusively on Ben & Jerry's, I cast on this:


Looks like Mint Chocolate Chip to me! What do you think?

I'm using the Waffle Rib pattern from Sensational Knitted Socks and although you can just see the beginnings in this picture, I think it's doing a great job of breaking up the color runs so it doesn't look to "stripey". (That's a word, right?)

The yarn is A Swell Yarn Shop's Duet sock yarn.  The really neat thing about the Duet yarn is that it's sold as a variegated yarn along with a coordinating solid yarn to use for the heel and toe.  I'm not sure if there's enough of the solid yarn to also use for the cuff, but I thought that would look really cute so I just used the solid for half the cuff and then switched to the variegated.

I had a vague idea how and when to switch to the solid yarn on the heel flap but just be sure I knew what I was doing and to work through the process I quickly did this:


I know, I know.  Altogether now.......Awwwwwwwww.

Okay, moving along. It was definitely a good test and I'm happy I did it.  Because what I hadn't figured out before was how to have the variegated yarn ready to pick up and start with again after the solid brown heel and at what point that would occur.  (This could be important, yes?)

And this little girlie sock experiment won't go to waste.  Sometime over the next few months it'll acquire a little girlie sock mate, and probably a matching little girlie hat.  Which should be perfect for this fall's donation to the annual PLAY craft auction. 

Hmmm...maybe I'll even knit up a little adipose baby to go with it.  It's never to early to get 'em started on the right path!

2 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Yup. It's worth an Awwww for sure! And that sock does look like mint chocolate chip! Now I am hungry...

Harbor Hon said...

Mmmm! Mint chocolate chip ... think I'm going into a coma thinking about it. Need to get some. The socks in that color are going to be fabulous. xxoo