Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Toasty!



Yes, that's right. It's over 80 degrees and it's night time.  I've never wanted to live in a place that has actual weather, you know - crisp autumn days with colorful leaves, etc., etc.  But I am done with summer, really.  I'm over it and ready to move on.

After all, I choose to knit socks not just because they are small, portable projects but also because I have faith that even if I live in bare feet & sandals for many months, eventually, eventually - I will get to wear them.

So maybe when Mother Nature gets her act together I can put these on my feet:


My Fabulous Fake Isle socks, using Red Heart's Heart & Sole in the Toasted Almond colorway. After I was about halfway on the second sock I noticed something interesting about the color and pattern sequence.  Now that I'm finished, it's easy to see:


Yup, that's right - it's going the opposite direction on each sock.  Here, let me give you a closeup:


I know what you're thinking, "Whoops, she accidentally knit one sock from the outside of a skein and the other from the inside."  Actually, no.  I couldn't find the center pull on one of the skeins, so I deliberately knit them both from the outside. Uh-hunh, it's like that.

But I'm fine with it, and actually I even like it.  Something about how random the patterning looks when the two socks are next to each other on my feet is appealing to me.  I think if I were to knit another pair of socks in a self-patterning yarn I might even do it this way on purpose. Which for someone with my "matchy-matchy" issues is quite a step forward!

4 comments:

Harbor Hon said...

I like how they turned out too. And I REALLY like the colors on these as I am more a darker color kind of girl. xxoo

Anonymous said...

They look fantastic! I was thinking about making something with that yarn when I saw it at AC Moore last week. Maybe I'll go get some...

Logan said...

Ooooh, funky. I like it. It's like a secret code or something.

Sheepish Annie said...

Socks is socks. And if they look a little bit funky and interesting then they are that much better! I love those. I'll think good thoughts for cooler temperatures for you!