Friday, September 7, 2007

Harry who?

Charlotte and Wilbur, Betsy and Tacy, Charlie and his golden ticket, Jo and her sisters, Anne (with an e please), and all the kids who went through the War Drobe of Spare Oom - just a few of the many characters who filled my childhood. (Do all four-eyed bookworm kids grow up to be adults who get the same pleasure from reading? Or is it just a phase for some?)

Yesterday, at the age of 88, author Madeleine L'Engle passed away. Although "A Wrinkle in Time" and the four books that followed in the series were marketed to kids, L'Engle didn't consider herself a children's book writer. And now that I think about it - these were books, just books. Published in the 1960's, read by generations, and even re-released this past May. No action figures, fast food promotions, or celebrity endorsements that I can recall. But I do remember the stories, and I hope that's enough to satisfy L'Engle or any author.

I admire J.K. Rowling but somehow the adventures of Harry and his compadres at Wizard School never caught my interest. And it's not because I came late to the table - I know plenty of adults who enjoy each installment and look forward eagerly to the next. Potter-mania will just have to pass me by, and I'm okay with that.

Besides, I've got to go back and visit with the Murray family, and see what Meg and Charles Wallace have been up to in my absence.

No comments: