Sunday, October 21, 2007

Overtown Adventures - part 1

On Saturday I finally went overtown to take my midcourse exam in Art History. While I was waiting to get on the boat this guy was the free entertainment:



He was hanging out where all the fishermen gather, fishing off the backside of the Mole. The bird kept going from one group to the other, begging for fish - it was hilarious. I only wish I'd had a video camera to really capture it.

Driving overtown is usually a bit of mental wrench, I notice things now that I'm sure I just took for granted in the past, they were just part of the background. But while I was stopped at a red light (oh, yeah traffic lights!) I glanced over to the left and saw this:



The blue ad? It's for The Sandbox, a smoke (head?) shop located in the South Bay. The text on the right side of the ad says, "For all your smoking and detox needs." Ummmm, yeah...good to know where to go when the need hits. I'll make a note of that.

When I sat down to take the exam I finally discovered the upside to this crappy course. The problem with the course results from the obvious fact that the instructor basically phoned it in, and apparently delegated the writing of the course materials to a teaching student whose first language was not English. The minimal amount of effort was put into creating it. And the midcourse exam followed the same pattern - minimal effort expended in its creation. So the "80 matching and multiple choice questions taken from the assignments and quizzes" were precisely the same questions. And I do mean precisely the same, not rewritten or rearranged at all, even the answers were exactly the same. So if the correct answer was in position b when the question was used on one of the quizzes, it was in position b on the midcourse exam. And the answers in postion a, c, d, and e, were the same also. So my tactic of preparing for the exam by memorizing all the "matching and multiple choice questions taken from the assignments and quizzes" worked like a charm - I nailed it.

It's getting late now, so I'm going to continue talking about my little day trip in a separate post tomorrow. I'm sure you'll be waiting with bated breath!

No comments: