Saturday, November 17, 2007

Friday night PLAY time



It is November and we are easily entertained. But it truly is a fun local event, something that is really a community-centered event, not one that the tourists would be interested in, and I think that's part of why I look forward to it. 'Cause after all those spring and summer months, followed by the Jazztrax weekends, this one just us. While I did think to get a picture of the auction in progress:



I was having so much fun that I didn't think of taking a picture of all the great live and silent auction prizes laid out on the tables before the auction started. And I really regret that because there were some really nice items. Aside from an absolutely lovely hand-knit pink baby blanket (ahem), there was a big hand-made wooden blanket chest, framed prints by local photographers, jewelry, and much more. My absolute favorite was a gorgeous purple and gold felted tote, and I really wish I had a shot of that to show. It was a dark purple at the bottom, shading up to more medium, then lighter, and then the gold color started and continued to the top edge. I think the strap was a mix of colors also. I know it doesn't sound like a good color combo - you'll just have to take my word for it.

And the food was good this year, the best it's been in quite awhile. Usually there is a basic salad, some kind of bread, and then a hot main dish. This year the main dish was a yummy lasagna and there were two kinds - one with meat and one without - which made my vegetarian friend quite happy. But the food is really just to get people there right when it starts at 5pm, and to provide some solid food as a base to soak up the alcohol. (What? I didn't mention the no-host cash bar at this event? Well, geez...this is Avalon, of course there's a bar. What are you new here?) The company is great, auction is entertaining, the food is good, but in the end, it's all about this:



The dessert table. (burp).

Oh, and before I sign off, today's Saturday Sky:



1 comment:

NH Knitting Mama said...

Looks like a lot of fun - and good food! Food is always key for me! ha ha...