Sunday, November 18, 2007

Ravelry Ramblings

I spent some time on Ravelry today, adding in projects and stash. I still have a ways to go, but once I started diving into my stash it was both better and worse than I expected.

Better - in that I don't actually have as much as I thought. In my efforts to keep my finished objects safe from the cat's claws, I had stored some of my early efforts (a poncho, some long skinny scarves, and few other odds and ends) in the same place as the yarn, and taking up valuable real estate in the storage container under my bed.

Worse - in that I am forced to face, in the cold light of day, the fiber follies of my early knitting days. And I may be stretching the use of the word "fiber". I present a prime example:


(polyamide something or other in yellow, pink, and orange variegated with little tufts - yipes!)

When I first learned to knit, I loved all those nifty novelty yarns with their wild color combinations, odd bits of fluff, and strange textures. They made it so easy for me to knit up things that looked fabulous, and as if I had done something really impressive. When it was really the yarn that was doing all the work. But I suppose they had their place, because I think it was partially due to the positive reactions I received from those early projects, that I kept going. And found my way to the bliss of alpaca, mohair, merino, and other marvelous natural fibers.

I also joined a few groups on Ravelry. The groups for Zeepo's knitting book, for lovers of Lion Brand yarn, one for Southern California knitters, and one specifically for Stitches West, which I plan on attending in February. That group was very new, and I noticed that they didn't have a banner at the top of the group page, or a button like all the others do. So just for fun I "borrowed" some graphics from the Stitches West site and made a banner:



And a buttton:



And I quite like them. But I may have made a major faux pas in posting a note to the group board about it, instead of just sending a message privately to the group admin/moderator. I did say in the post that I didn't want to step on any toes - so all I can do now is hope for the best I suppose.

No comments: