Monday, May 5, 2008

Statistically speaking...

Over on the right hand side of my blog in my school progress bars there's a yellow one for my Statistics class and as of today, it shows 40% completed. Now, if there were any other way to fulfill that requirement, I'd have gone that route but Statistics is required for my major.  And if I had been able to look into the future and see how little difference the choice of major would make in my life, I might not have switched from Art to Psychology!  'Cause I'm sure they don't expect art students to be able to figure out the standard deviation of worm lengths, right?

From the beginning this class had me worried. While I can plug on through the individual lessons, learning a specific concept and then spitting it back on the assignment, when it came time to take the first exam I panicked.  Because I couldn't remember all of that material - it just didn't seem to stick. So I procrastinated.  And I am quite good at that.  I found time to do just about everything and anything instead, up to but not including vacuuming the cat. (That probably wouldn't have gone well).

Then finally, two weeks ago I put on my big girl panties (along with all the usual clothing!) and went to the testing center on the mainland and took the exam.  It was a two-hour, two-part test, at the end of which I staggered back out into the sun with not more than a handful of brain cells left.  Certain that I had bombed, I headed to a nearby yarn store to drown my sorrows in fiber fumes and put it behind me.

The grades for that exam were posted today:  

Part 1 = 86%,  B  
Part 2 = 70%,  C-

Happy happy, joy joy, happy happy, joy joy, happy happy, joy joy, happy happy, joy joy, happy happy, joy joy.....whoops, 'scuse me, what was I saying?

Oh yeah, I procrastinated.  So much so, that now I'm going to have to really push hard to finish the rest of the assignments and exams before the class ends.  I know from past experience that school is willing to grant course extensions of up to 30 days.  But longer than that? I don't think I want to ask until I get closer and have a better idea what I'd be asking for.

So - statistically speaking, what's the probability that I can get through the remaining 60% of that course in the next few months?

4 comments:

Mia said...

Yay for the passing! I'm sure the next one will be even easier :)

Sheepish Annie said...

You will make it. I know this. I know this because I procrastinated my way through two degrees and, if I can do it, anyone can. You'll do great! Congrats on the grades!!!!

Harbor Hon said...

Woohoo! Good for you for passing. I'm so proud of you. You had more brain cells that you depleted than I have active ones. xxoo

JamieL said...

Awesome... I missed this post, but I have to send hearty congratulations anyways! Passing feels *so* good.

CONGRATS!!