Thursday, August 14, 2008

I carried a watermelon

Just in case you happen to be unfamiliar with that particular expression - I'll explain.  In the movie Dirty Dancing,  actress Jennifer Grey's character gains entrance to a party by helping someone else carry watermelons up the stairs and into the party.  Moments later, upon meeting the handsome dance instructor played by Patrick Swayze, when he asks what she is doing there, all that comes out of her mouth is, "I carried a watermelon".  Of course, she's completely aware seconds later that she's been an idiot - but there you have it - the ultimate foot in mouth moment, preserved in cinematic history.

It has become increasingly apparent to me that I am losing my ability to communicate intelligently with any reasonably attractive single person of the opposite gender.  The plumber, my neighbor, a good friend's spouse, even the guy I cat-sit for - no problemo!  I am smart, sharp, witty and I can go on for hours.  But with the fellow who sat next to me for the first half of a community theatre comedy tonight? Yeahhhh....not so much.  Can't really blame him - I'd change seats after the intermission too if I ended up next to a blathering idiot like me.

There are bright spots in my life however - I won a contest on Peaceful Knitter's blog, my prize was this cute little t-shirt:


"Little" being the operative word!  It fits me perfectly but then, I'm kind of a stick person.  The size tag on this shirt says it's a Medium and I have to wonder - in adult sizes???

But as an extra surprise she sent me this also:


The color is just a gorgeous shiny leafy green, and it is deliciously soft!  I have heard that bamboo yarn stretches so with just one skein I'm thinking this would make a nice little scarf. Pattern suggestions anyone?

7 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

I find the same problems with Cafe Press shirts. They run super-small. I'm not a big girl, by any means. But yeesh! I feel almost mammoth unless I get a size large!

I also know what you mean about the "oh, look a boy and why can't I talk good like I used to does?" I cannot even bear to discuss with you some of the scenes I've created...

Ellen Bloom said...

The yarn is beautiful. Hmmm? Maybe a simple drop stitch with a couple rows of garter between dropped rows would look good and show off the yarn?

Harbor Hon said...

Kath,
I find myself going the same thing with guys I don't know ... and I'm 55! You'd think I'd have it down pat by now. Not!

Like the shirt ... love the yarn. Can't give you any suggestions though as I'm knot (pun) a knitter. That's a great color though. xxoo

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you like your prizes!

Beverly said...

His loss, I'd say.

Alien Brain said...

You may have the same affliction as my dear friend Stacey when it comes to men. There's the fabulously witty, fun, life of the party Stacey, and then there's the "Dating Stacey" which I finally witnessed (to my amazement)after 20 years. Once I introduced her to "Dating Stacey", it was illuminating to both of us. I'll have to keep an eye on you...I wonder if you have a "dating Katherine"? PS - She dumped dating Stacey and is currently coupled up!

JamieL said...

I completely empathize with the "I Carried a Watermelon" phenomenon. I don't know why that happens? Can I blame hallucinogens in the catfur? Somehow I don't think so. Congrats on your prizes! The shirt is very cute. The yarn is lovely. Bamboo does stretch; but you can counteract this by knitting it with a smaller needle than you would usually use. It looks like it will knit up beautifully!