Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I'll just flash you some yarn

In the hope that will distract you from the fact that I appear to have fallen off the wagon yet again, it's actually been a full week since my last post.  Never mind my failings in the blog department, let's just talk about yarn, okay?

Since I have plenty of yarn in the stash already, I am truly making an effort to focus on finding patterns that I want to knit with the yarn I already have.  And if I buy any new yarn, it's only when I already have a specific pattern in mind for it.  No "ohhh isn't that pretty/shiny/fun" impulse buying!

Working with the Lorna's Laces on the Artichoke socks has taught me new swear words the value of thinner yarns in that they make it possible for me to knit up a 64 stitch pattern exactly as written and still get a wearable sock. There are two such patterns I've been interested in for quite a while, Nutkin and Embossed Leaves (sorry, rav-link). With that in mind, I purchased this on my last trip overtown:


Lorna's Laces in Gold Hill. Right now the Embossed Leaves pattern is leading, because I sort of imagine those colors to be like autumn leaves.  Can you see it?

In further attempts to be practical in my yarn stash enhancement, I also bought this:



Cascade Heritage sock yarn.  Why yes, as a matter of fact it IS a very boring pale cream color, thankyouverymuch.  I did say I was being practical, didn't I?

No seriously, I've got an idea for a sock pattern using a two-color design I saw in a stitch dictionary (which is how most sock patterns are born apparently) and this is the main color I want to use.  Now I just have to keep my eyes peeled for a sock yarn of similar weight that has colors I want for the contrasting color. I'm thinking ocean colors, the full range - blues, greens, purples. Something that, for the love of all that is holy, does not bleed. Kind of like this:



But in a sock yarn.  Which that is not.  Unfortunately.  Suggestions?

4 comments:

Mia said...

Oh yeah, I'm loving that autumn colored yarn!

I'm off the wagon too.. but in a completely different way hehehehe.

pocketsize said...

The first thing that came to mind was Noro. A brief search gave me two sock yarns, Silk Garden Sock and Kureyon Sock (SG and K). I also found some knitted up samples of them, here and here.
Hopefully some of the blues will help you.

Harbor Hon said...

Sorry, I wouldn't be any help to you as I use acrylic yarns when I crochet. Love that color combo you came up with though. xxoo

Logan said...

Nice try. But I've sort of already noticed that NOBODY is blogging lately.