Sunday, August 23, 2009

Miaow Miaow does not approve

Living in a tourist destination does mean frequent interaction with a broad spectrum of the island's seasonal visitors, not just during the work day, but sometimes at home too. The house next door to mine on one side is owned by a very large family. During the fall and winter it sits vacant for months on end, and all is peaceful and quiet. But starting in the late spring and throughout the summer it's occupied for a constantly changing variety of vacationers as each branch of the family takes their turn at the house. And after almost ten years, whether or not they know me, I recognize and remember them. And not necessarily in a good way.

Today was my day off so I slept in later than usual, and then finally rose to enjoy a lovely sunny morning out on the balcony, sipping coffee and knitting, and then after a bit, slowly watering the plants while the cat mooched around nearby, purring contentedly. 

Then suddenly, in that ear-piercing, glass-shattering voice that only small girl children can produce....

"LOOOOOOOOOOOK!!!!!!!
MIAOW MIAOW!!!!!!!!!"

The personage so addressed took that as a cue to dive under the stairs and take refuge far behind the house. Can you blame her?


We do not approve of this sort of behavior. 
Make it go away.  Now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh God, my neck just did that involuntary twitch and my eyes squinted up just thinking about 'that' note. Little girls should be de-squealed (word?) until they are at least 20. Shudder.

I sound so old and miserable! I'll just go yell at some random kids to get off my lawn now, shall I?

Harbor Hon said...

I don't blame her for hiding. My niece used to produce a scream that would go straight through my brain and down my spine. Even my other niece would cringe when she did it and they were basically the same age at that time. Some children are just more laid back than others. Glad I spent more time around the quiet one. Poor kitty ears. xxoo

Sheepish Annie said...

I shall miss my summer vacation. I shall not miss the summer people. I will be standing at the state border waving them a cheery good-bye when they leave.

I feel your pain...