Monday, March 15, 2010

But does it support the conclusion?

I'm working on a major overhaul of my resume and in pursuit of that goal I just finished reading one of several books I borrowed from the local library on resume writing.  Without even trying I found two typos in the book - and it's put it out by a well-known, reputable publisher. So I'm wondering, should I send them my corrections and a copy of my resume?

I see this sign every time I go to the laundromat. And every time I wonder, "Am I the only one who notices this?" 

5 comments:

Mia said...

hmmm... strange sign.. I wonder what kind of damage, exactly, a dirty towel would be able to do?? ::laughing::

Sheepish Annie said...

One hates it when the premise is damaged. It makes the theories get all cocky and think they are superior. And don't even get me started on the foregone conclusions...

SeattleAmy said...

It's all about good enough. Good enough software - vs. 99.99% bug free, good enough editing, etc.

There's a price to pay to get the "it" out the door and start making money.

About the only things society hasn't accepted as good enough? Surgeons. For instance, a surgeon being good enough and cutting off the wrong foot or doing the wrong surgery on the wrong patient...not acceptable!

Julia said...

You seem to have the mind set of an editor. If you are interested working a proofreader or as an editor, you would do well to subscribe to the copyeditor's listserve. See http://www.copyediting-l.info/index.shtml for more information.
The question you raised about contacting the publisher of a book with errors has been discussed there. The comments would be available in the archives. However, you must subscribe to the list in order to read the archives.

Mia said...

I just heard ya at Sheepies. ::cheers:: I'm several ahead. Just sayin'.