Thursday, October 25, 2007

Dream Analysis for Dummies

A play in which our heroine's subconscious attempts to psychoanalyze itself in four acts.

Act 1
I am much younger, like early teens. A small blond boy tells me that when he went to the store by himself last time a group of bigger kids picked on him. I walk down the row of stores, looking for them but don't see anyone. So then I tell the blond boy to walk back to the store, while I hide and watch for kids to come out. I crouch down behind a large metal thing, like a van, or a dumpster, watching the boy, and waiting.

Act 2
I am packing things into cardboard boxes, for moving, but these are not my possessions. Behind me a woman is lying on a couch, like she is ill and can only watch without helping. Someone approaches me as I am disconnecting a stereo system and asks what to do next, I stand up and open a closet door to see what's inside, then tell the person to use Hefty bags to pack up the clothes. There is a sense of urgency, we have to finish this today.

Act 3
I am walking with someone behind me through large glass doors and then down very wide stone stairs from a large building. There is a crowd of reporters surrounding someone further to the right of the stairs, and we walk down and to the left, towards a parking garage. A man steps out from behind me and starts to turn to face me and say something, we hear many footsteps and he moves quickly away, past a row of bushes, and I turn to face the reporters.

Act 4
I am talking to my mother about our trip in February and she askes me if I have found someone to take care of my cats while I'm gone. I tell her I am going to ask E. She tells me that the trip is coming up soon, so I walk upstairs and call him at home. I reach him immediately and after we chat a little I ask him the question. He flatly replies with a "No, I can't do that" and says nothing else. I sit on the edge of my bed, holding the phone, listening to the silence on the open line with no idea what to say.

Comments anyone? The floor is open...

1 comment:

Sheepish Annie said...

Do you have a number of projects in the works right now? Perhaps things you are in charge of? There seems to be an organizing/caretaking theme here. And I'm also hearing that maybe there are people watching to see how this is going to turn out. Supervisors? Co-workers? Family? And maybe you're feeling that you'd like a little more help than you're getting...

I probably could get this information by going back and reading some of your other posts, but I thought I'd take a stab in the dark at this one.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for commenting. I loved the "just peachy" response! I may have to use that one...