Monday, April 7, 2008

The winnah! By a beak!

On Sunday I was walking down Front Street heading towards the mole and saw a much larger than usual crowd of people on South Beach. And suddenly I remembered, it's Ducky Derby Day. Yet another annual Avalon event that the tourists wander by and through with their eyes swiveling every which direction and cameras clicking.

The duckies are set at the beginning of the course and given occasional assistance from the Harbor Patrol to keep the water flowing in the right direction:



Volunteers in kayaks watch for any strays as the duckies continue to travel along the racecourse:



Towards the crowd of people waiting and watching eagerly from the shore



For the first ducky to hit the beach! Can you see him?

5 comments:

Mia said...

Around here they float the ducks in a creek - first AND last ducks "home" win :)

Ellen Bloom said...

Squeeeee! So cute! I didn't know Avalon had a duckie race. I must get over there soon...it's been far too long!

Sheepish Annie said...

Ha!!! That is awesome! I do love a good duckie race...

Logan said...

That...is...AWESOME.

JamieL said...

Oh, I love duck derbies! How cool :D