Friday, April 4, 2008

To 'splain...

Why I choose comment moderation instead of those fun little random letter combinations. Someone asked me this recently.



No, not that kind. This kind.

It sucks, but I do get it regularly.  And the kind I get would not be prevented by word verification.  What amazes the frack outta me is that I've been blogging for less than a year.  I only started in the beginning of September (blogiversary is 9/5 if you're inclined to mark it on your calender) and as far as I could tell, I was basically talking to myself for the first few weeks.  I didn't get any comments at all until the F-word post.  (Big surprise, eh?) But seriously, less than a year online and you wanna drop your garbage in my comments?  Dudes - I am really not that popular, you are wasting your efforts and if I can take a moment to apply a little Force persuasion...move along.

If the frequency increases or moderating the comments becomes a hassle, I'll explore additional options. But at this point in my life I'm enough of a geek to be on the computer almost every day, sometimes all day.  I've even been known to travel to the mainland early in the morning, run about all day like the Energizer Bunny on crack, head back to the island on the last boat, and after finally arriving home, crawl into bed with my laptop for one quick online fix (email, google reader, ravelry) before passing out.

So I generally see a comment within a few hours and deal with it appropriately.  Real comments get published.  The others?

4 comments:

sunt_lacrimae_rerum said...

I hear you. I will have to do it too. My blog is unsearchable and people are only likely to come upon it through Ravelry (how I found your blog).

I was compelled to visit because I loved your description of the ocean. What lovely images.

Doulton from Yarn Smackdown

Mia said...

Isn't it funny.. in 3 or more years of blogging, I've NEVEr had a robot type spam email on my blog.

My email.. now that's a whole NOTHER story :)

Logan said...

I haven't had any problems yet with spam. Weird, eh?

And I hadn't read that post before but ohmygod was that amusing.

JamieL said...

I hear you on this one. I have no clue how spammers find perfectly innocous knit blogs, but they do.

And the F-word post? If Blogger had a love(1) button like Ravelry, I would be clicking it like mad!