Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Not THAT Noro scarf

"If everyone else jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?" Did your mother say those words to you sometime during your teen years?  I can't remember if mine did or not, but I'm sure she'll mention it if so.

I know that friggin' scarf pattern has been around for at least a couple years. I mean, Jared Flood posted it in the spring of 2007, admitting that it wasn't an original design, just his version. And then as everyone saw The Harlot decided to knit a few of them, and you know how that goes.  At last I checked 2,659 people on Ravelry either had knit or is currently knitting one of those scarves.  This however, is not a selling point for me.  Why would I want to knit something that everyone is knitting?  Wouldn't it be more fun to knit something that only a few had? My resistance was strong.

But then along came Didi with her scarf, and then there was Tammy with her scarf too.  Couple of wild wanton women, trying to seduce me with all those pretty colors and tempt into jumping on the bandwagon.

Noooooo!!!!! Keep away from me with that kool-aid! I will NOT knit that Noro scarf!

I will knit this one:



It's the Check-ed Neck-ed Scarf, by Angela Roberge. Designed for a single skein of Noro Iro, which I happen to have in my stash.  The thing is knitting up insanely fast, and is an excellent pattern for showing off the colors of Noro and the somewhat, errr...."organic" or perhaps "rustic" nature of Iro. When it's done I'm going to block it just the teeniest bit, but not much.

And lastly, it's Carolyn's birthday today!  She always manages to see the bright and humorous side of things, and is amazingly supportive to her fellow bloggers.  So take a moment to check out her blog and wish her a happy day! She also has a certain signature symbol and that makes me think she might appreciate this: 



Whether or not people agree with all the images used, (and there were a few that raised my eyebrows), I can't see anyone finding fault with the sentiment.  So kick off your shoes and dance to it!

2 comments:

Harbor Hon said...

OMG! I love Sheryl Crow! This was perfect for a birthday present. And, yes, I was dancing. Viggo, Kevin (give us some) Bacon, Stevie Wonder, John Lennon, Paul McCartney and so many others flashing my signature sign. I was in tears before the song even ended. You are amazing and I thank you so much for the wonderful gift of your friendship. xxoo

D said...

As I am currently studying for finals for my History of Graphic Design class, I thought you might find it interesting to know that the peace symbol was designed 50 years ago in protest of nuclear proliferation. Here's the Wikipedia reference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerald_Holtom

Peace out, all . . .

D