Saturday, January 10, 2009

Another one bites the dust

I get more joy from advancing those little School Progress bars on the right sidebar that you'd ever believe. On Thursday I went over to the mainland and took the Principles of Marketing CLEP exam, which wipes out another 3 lower level credits, and gives me a reason to mark that bar "100%" and move on forward.

Although my school records the grade on a pass/fail basis, the score I received is the equivalent of a B, which is not too damn shabby considering all I did was read a couple of study guides & memorize all the sample test questions provided. In a week or so, with my academic advisor's approval I'll select another one and add it to the list. Principles of Management? Intro to Sociology?

In the meanwhile, I need to get crackin' on the other courses.  Between the holiday fun and final cramming for the Marketing exam, both Spanish & Ethics have slipped a little but I know from past experience that it'll just take a few days of focused effort to get them back on track. Over the holidays I also added something to replace the stats class I finished in December - "Foundations of Gerontology". Great fun, yes indeedy.  

For reasons that are a mystery to me someone at the school thought it would be a good idea to take two separate reasonably-sized and reasonably-priced softcover textbooks and re-issue them as one great big fat honkin'  hardcover book, (2 1/2 inches thick!), bundle it with a very thin (literally) excuse for a study guide, and charge students a ridiculous amount of money. Oh yeah, that must the the reason...to make money.

Silly me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the B! :) My text this semester - skinny little paperback number = $94.00. Gouge! Oh well, at least it's interesting reading.

Oh hey! Did you get your cupboard baby lock without the whole island wondering about you?

Harbor Hon said...

Congratulations on another success! Yes, it's too easy to combine things to 'make a buck' nowadays. Whatever happened to, just what I need ... and at a good price? xxoo

Sheepish Annie said...

Yay for paring down those courses! Boo for having to pay so much for textbooks. That is something I do not miss from my grad school days. I just can't fathom how they justify the expense. Maybe I should take a class so I'd understand it a little better...

Mia said...

school ::shudder:: I can't imagine that people actually choose to do it, but hey, good for you!